14U June Rankings
1. East Cobb Astros (GA) - The Astros have solidified their hold on the #1 spot in the TBS rankings with an impressive recent run including a National Championship at the 14U Perfect Game WWBA and a dramatic title at the Battle in the South with wins over Team Alabama (TBS #3) and the Dallas Tigers (TBS #4). The ‘Stros are clicking on all cylinders and looking ahead to a possible unprecedented three-straight USSSA Elite 24 Championships. The Astros will first participate against some of the best 15U and 16U teams in the Country at the East Cobb Complex during the 15U and 16U Perfect Game WWBA events. A majority of the 14U Astros players will also play in the 17U WWBA event at East Cobb – one of the most scouted amateur baseball tournaments in the nation.
2. HB Nitro Elite (CA) – The Elite move up to the #2 spot in the current TBS rankings. Although the Elite did participate in the Battle in the South as expected, numerous coaches familiar with this club believe they stack up well with the Astros and other top National teams.
3. Team Alabama (AL) - Team Alabama is simply a solid, well-coached team with several players as good as anybody in the nation. Good showing at the BITS where TA lost in the semi-final to the Astros. TBS expects TA to be in the running at the Elite 24.
4. Dallas Tigers (TX) - The Tigers showed they are a top National team at the BITS where they had the Astros on the ropes with a 5-run lead late in the championship game before the Astros bats erupted. TBS awards teams that have played a tough schedule and in big events all year and the Tigers certainly fit this bill.
5. Houston Heat (TX) - Word on the street is that the Heat may have to shut things down early this year and may not attend the Elite 24 where they won as 13U’s in 2007.
6. Team Mizuno/(Panteras) (FL/PR) – The Team Mizuno club at the Battle in the South was very solid losing a tough quarter-final match-up to Team Alabama. During pool play, the club posted some quality wins against good opponents. It appears the majority of Mizuno is also rostered on the Panteras team from Puerto Rico that will be participating at the Elite 24.
7. TIE – Bullet Baseball (LA)/Central Texas Raiders (TX) – These two clubs were not at the Battle in the South, but will both participate in the Elite 24 and have both played a very tough and aggressive schedule all year. Both teams have also picked up quality wins over very good teams during the ’08 season.
9. Virginia Wildcats (VA) – This club has burst on the scene with extremely good showings at the 14U Perfect Game WWBA (losing to East Cobb Astros in Championship) and the Battle in the South (losing to Team Alabama in playoffs). Two recent wins over NorCal
10. NorCal (CA) - NorCal has struggled a bit of late with disappointing showings at the Perfect Game 14U WWBA and the Battle in the South. HOWEVER, do not count NorCal out – especially at full strength. One of the very best programs in the nation, look for NorCal to regroup and bounce back with a very good showing the remainder of the season.
11. Kentucky Baseball Club (KY) – A team and program on the rise – you are starting to see very good KBC clubs at major events in multiple age groups. The 14U KBC team showed very well at the Battle in the South defeating some very good teams before a semi-final loss to the Dallas Tigers.
12. SEM Pirates (MI) – The Pirates followed up a victory at the Michigan Super Nit with another very good showing at the Battle of the South with wins over several TBS ranked teams including the Columbus Sharks, Alabama Storm and Team Demarini. The Pirates look to become one of the best 14U teams from Michigan in some time and will have an opportunity at the Elite 24 to prove they are a top national team.
13. Arizona Landsharks (AZ) – TBS hears the Landsharks are playing in older tournaments in preparation for the Elite 24.
14. Columbus Sharks (OH) – The Sharks had a solid performance at the Battle in the South and move up 3 spots in the latest TBS poll. The Sharks are a favorite to win the AAU National Title.
15. Tampa Cannons (FL) - The Cannons are done for the year due to demands of high school summer ball. It is not known how the Cannons would have stacked up against the better National teams had they been able to complete their season together, but TBS still feels like a top-15 spot is appropriate for this club.
16. McKinney Marshals (TX) – Another good Texas club. Showed well at the BITS and has played a tough schedule with wins over several higher ranked teams.
17. Houston Banditos (TX) - Nobody seems to know what the deal is with the Banditos 14U team this year. After three very good seasons the club lost some players, went out of their way to advertise that they "reloaded", but have apparently decided to forgo any and all major 14U events this year. The 14U Banditos are apparently playing in older tournaments this year but unfortunately very little is really known about this team.
18. Alabama Storm (AL) – Although the Storm has not claimed many big tournament titles this year, they have played well at times and consistently played good competition. Look for the Storm to move up by the final TBS poll.
19. Aberdeen Arsenal (MD) – Leads season series with in-state rival Baltimore Buzz. Good chance to do very well at the AAU National.
20. Baltimore Buzz (MD) – Decent showing at the Battle in the South. Will participate at Elite 24.
21. Team Demarini (TX) – Demarini has played a tough Texas schedule and has several quality wins but slip a little in this poll following the Battle in the South.
22. Team Anderson (CA) – Disappointing showing at the Battle in the South drops TA in the TBS poll, but look for the team to do well at the Elite 24.
23. Carolina Tar Heels (NC) – Tough team that played well at the Battle in the South – almost upsetting the East Cobb Astros.
24. Virginia Diamonds (VA) – Solid Club from Virginia that has some very good athletes. Will participate in AAU Nationals.25. Lamorinda Generals (CA) – California club breaks into the top 25 with consistent play all year.
Honorable Mention (in no particular order): Richmond Braves (VA), 5280 Baseball (CO), Cyclones Baseball (FL), New Jersey Mariners (NJ), Creeks Redwolves (FL), East Cobb Yankees (GA), Diamond Club Cannons (AL),Memphis Tigers (TN), Louisiana Toros (LA), Blue Springs Classics (MO), TPX Baseball (TX), Dulin Dodgers (AL), STTF Spikes (TX), South Florida Snappers (FL), Carolina Angels (NC), Tri-State Green Wave (VA), South Oakland A’s (MI), Indiana Bulls (IN), California Yankees Black (CA), Beaver Valley Red (PA), Carolina Blue Jays (NC), Washington RIPS Brewers (WA), New York Gothams (NY), Home Plate Chilidogs (GA), Victory Baseball (IL), Scottsdale Storm (AZ) Vegas Heat (NV)
|Last Updated on Friday, 11 July 2008 14:43|