|TravelBallSelect's 2009 12U Preseason Rankings|
Updated 04/08/20091. Norwalk Stingrays (CA) - If your looking for the most dominating 12u team in the country, look no further than the Norwalk Stingrays. This team is loaded with talent and is proving it to any team who dares to step on the field them. The Stingrays have won both the Super NITs held in California this season, the Thanksgiving Day Super NIT and the always tough MLK Super NIT. With an impressive starting record of 24-1 against 12u competition the Stingrays are averaging over 7 runs a game and allowing just 1.08. Last years 12u Stingrays team started the season ranked # 1 and never relinquish their spot. Could this years team do the same?
2. Lamorinda Cougars (CA) - The defending TBS National Champion Cougars are not off to a great start in 20009 but this team is returning 11 players including TBS All Americans Daniel Slominski, Joe DeMers and Matt Bicker and should be there when it counts the most, at the Elite 36. Winners at the Winter Nationals Super NIT the Cougars proved they still have what it takes and with the talent on this team we expect another great year from the Cougars.
3. Diamondback Baseball (FL) - There seems to be a ton of players jumping ship in Florida this season and the Diamondbacks look to be the beneficiary of two of the best looking for a better situation. The Diamondbacks return a core of 7 players from last season # 15 ranked team and have added Kyle Cross and TBS All American Brendan Rodgers from last years top ranked Florida Fire. The Diamondbacks were impressive at this years Elite Travel Classic taking home the championship against the best teams Florida has to offer. They top that by running the table at the Atlanta Super NIT to earn a trip to the Elite 36 and a top 10 ranking.
4. East Cobb Astros (GA) - In their 4 year history the Astros have captured an impressive 5 National Championships including the 2008 AAU National Champion. The 2008 TBS # 2 ranked team, return 9 players and have added 4 other top players from the Atlanta area. With several tournament rain outs thus far, the Astros hasn’t had the chance to truly get on track but it won‘t take them long. The Astros finished a disappointing 9th at the Atlanta Super NIT but after going 3-0 the Astros faced a red hot Diamondbacks team early in bracket play. This was the toughest game the Diamondbacks have played all season and went into extra innings before the Diamondbacks could squeeze out a 6-5 win. Don’t count the Astros out after one tournament, a # 4 ranking may be the lowest you see this team the rest of the season.
5. West Chester Sluggers (OH) - After a 2nd place finish at the Elite 24 in 2009 the Sluggers start the 2009 season where they ended in 2008, as the TBS # 5 ranked team. Returning to the Slugger are 2008 TBA All Americans Rodney Hutchinson, Hayden Senger and Jeremiah Johnson. Add these 3 top player along with 9 other returning members and the Sluggers have a great chance at a return trip to Disney.
6. Houston Lightning (TX) - The competition among the top teams in Texas is fierce as all this great teams are beating each other. But what would a top 10 ranking be without at least one of the great teams from Texas? The early season edge goes to the Houston Lightning. The Lightning have complied an impressive record of 16-3 with two tournament championships. With wins over the Houston Angels, Houston Sox, Team Rattlers and American Avengers the Lightning gets the early nod as the # 1 team from Texas.
7. TABU (CA) - Coming off an impressive 2008 season, TABU returns 7 players from 2008 which includes TBS All Americans Devin Leham and Cal Stevenson. The loss of three other TBS All Americans is being felt as this team started out slow but seems to be coming together. TABU won the Fall State Championship and placed 3rd at this years MLK.
8. Macomb Mudhens (MI) - With 12 returning players, a 3rd place finish at the 2008 Elite 24 the Mudhens should have no problem improving on their 60-18 record from a year ago. This is a solid team that doesn’t make mistakes and plays solid baseball in ever phase of the game. With TBS All American Nick Plummer leading the way the Mudhens should have no problem returning to the Elite in 2009.
9. Chielfs Baseball (GA) - After a 5th place at the 2008 Elite, the Chiefs are building an even stronger team for 2009. A one run loss to TBS # 3 at the Atlanta Super NIT shows they still have what it takes to play with the best. The addition of several top players in GA and FL should help the Chiefs climb in the rankings as the season goes on. They only need time which is good since the season is still young.
11. Florida Fire (FL) - The loss of 5 players and a new coaching staff would put most teams in a rebuilding mode but the Fire came out just as strong as they did in 2008 winning 5 tournament championship.
20. Arizona Desert Blaze (AZ) - The Blaze are the hottest team in Arizona after winning 5 tournament Championships and placing 3rd at the Winter national Super NIT. Along the way they record a big win over the SGV Cobras and lost a nail bitter to TBS # 2 Lamorinda Cougars by a score of 1-0.
21. Armour Baseball (CO) - Yes the snow has cleared and they are now playing baseball in CO. Armour Baseball is off to a great start with 3 tournament championships and a record of 9-0 which include 6 wins vs. 13U teams. After a great 2008 season Armour Baseball has added 3 outstanding players and all indications are this team will be better in '09.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 21 April 2009 01:39|