1. Norwalk Stingrays (CA) – The Rays have won 3 Super NITs and a 13U SoCal Super Series event and have now added the USSSA State Championship to their resume June 12-14. This team will be a force to be reckoned with at the Elite 32. This team claims the National Championship for the regular season but will have to prove themselves again post season. They will have help for the Elite 32 as TABU’s Dyrda and Sola will make the trip to Disney with Rays.
2. Lamorinda Cougars (CA) - The Cougars are continuing their winning ways. Qualified for the Elite and recently won the Western Elite USTBA beating TBS # 5 TABU twice. Last year’s National Champions are looking to repeat at Disney and will make a run at the Super 16 tournament in Texas. They took the Cooperstown Week 2 championship with a championship game win over the TBS ranked Chiefs in a tournament that also included the Florida Fire and Westchester Sluggers.
3. TABU (CA) – Won a California Super NIT and placed 2nd at the Western Elite where several of California’s finest attended. Finished 2nd at Cooperstown to a walk off HR by powerful Team Rattlers in Week 3, a tournament which featured many TBS ranked teams including Cincy Flames, Charlotte Megastars , Virginia Storm, East Cobb Astros, East Cobb Yankees and Simi Valley Predators.
4. Shamrock Baseball (GA) – 5 tournament championships, including the Georgia AAU and USSSA State Championships and the prestigious Tournament of Champions with a field of 16 TBS ranked or honorable mention teams vaults this Georgia powerhouse to the top five. This team is a big power laden and strong armed team that would give all those ranked above them a run for the money.
5. Macomb Mudhens (MI) – The Mudhens have a season record of 55-8 with only three losses coming to 12U teams. Top line pitching and offensive firepower have propelled the Hens into one of the nation’s top teams. This team is ready for Disney and the NATC at Cooperstown.
6. Diamondback Baseball (FL) - This team was impressive early season and sport wins over TBS ranked East Cobb Astros, Florida Fire, Meteors, N.O. Monarchs, Chiefs and Home Plate Chilidogs. Like the Chiefs, playing this type of competition week in and week out leads to a loss or two. The team has fought the injury bug and hopes to be healthy for the post season.
7. Dynasty Elite (FL) – Second place finish at the Tournament of Champions proves this team is for real. Posted victories over Chiefs, Houston Lightning and East Cobb Astros during their run in the tournament. Superb defense and timely hitting team with an up tempo style of play. Recently added a victory over Cooperstown Week 1 champion Tamiami Outlaws.
8. East Cobb Astros (GA) - The Astros have battled injuries all year along with losing one of their best players due to a family move to Texas. This perennial Georgia powerhouse is now getting on track based upon their 3rd place finish at the TOC. The team lost only to the Houston Lightning and Dynasty Elite at the TOC while playing to a tie with the Germantown Giants and won six consecutive elimination games in bracket play before running out of steam against Dynasty. Made a run at Cooperstown Week 4 before being eliminated in the semi-finals vs. TABU.
9. Houston Lightning (TX) – The Lightning made a good showing at the Tournament of Champions falling only to three of the top four finishers while merci ruling the TBS ranked Flames, East Cobb Astros, Home Plate Chilidogs and shutting out the Virginia Storm. Recently won the Nation’s Baseball Texas State Tournament. This team has played well against strong Texas competition as well with two or more wins over Houston Sox, Team Rattlers, MLAB Houston Lightning, CC Seahawks, Gladiators and Houston Angels. They take a 72-13 record into Post Season play at Myrtle Beach and the Super 16 World Series in Dallas.
10. Chiefs Baseball (GA) - After poor showing in East Cobb’s Tournament of Champions, this team rebounded to finish second to Lamorinda at Cooperstown in Week 2. Depending on the roster in each week, this team is a force. The question remains where the three Team Easton players will reside post season.
11. Home Plate Chilidogs (GA) – Recently finished as runner-up at the AAU World Series at Disney losing twice to eventual champion Bullets Gold. 4th place finish at tough East Cobb Tournament of Champions. Have beaten the Shamrocks in their last two meetings. This team has made great strides to becoming a top national team.
12. Houston Sox (TX) – Three consecutive tournament wins for the Sox. Have performed well against all of the major Texas teams this season. Big recent additions from Austin, Texas area to this already talented squad add firepower to this already talented squad. At the time of this writing, were headed toward a possible top finish at Cooperstown Week 5.
13. Team Rattlers (TX) – Former Elite 24 champions storm back into the top 25 after their wins at the Texas Super 16 Regional and Cooperstown Week 4 championships. At Cooperstown defeated Virginia Storm and TABU to take home the title. Power laden team which could make noise at the Super 16 World Series and the NYBC. Inability to defeat Houston Sox team this season prevents this team from moving higher.
14. Meteors Baseball (FL) - The Meteors started hot this season with some big victories over top teams. Recent sixth place finish at AAU World Series drop a few more slots but still not due to their play, rather, just the quality of ball those teams moving up have played. This team has wins over East Cobb Astros and TBS # 4 Diamondbacks twice at the USSSA State Tournament solid team with possibly the number one hitter in the country. Hit 43 homeruns at Cooperstown in Week 1 losing in final to Tamiami Outlaws, a new TBS honorable mention.
15. Florida Fire (FL) – Despite losses over the winter, this team has rebuilt itself and recently won a return trip to the Disney Sports Complex via a Super NIT Tournament victory and championship game win over the Florida Diamondbacks. Fell short at Cooperstown in Week 4.
16. Armour Baseball (CO) - Armour Baseball is back near the top after a great start to the 09 season. This team started red hot, winning their 1st 4 tournaments before stepping up to play in the 13u age group. Since then, they dropped back to 12U and won two more tournaments including the Memorial Day Super NIT in Kansas City. In that tournament, they defeated TBS Honorable Mention teams Dairy Queen Busters and, in a spectacular championship game, shutout Inside KC Sports 1-0. Armour is on the way to Disney.
17. Arizona Desert Blaze (AZ) - This team continues its winning tradition and not just against 12u teams. The Blaze have won in excess of 50 games this season with nearly half of those wins coming against 13u teams. Two of their setbacks have been to the TBS #2 ranked Cougars.
18. Louisiana Tigers (LA) - Five tournament Championships to start the season. Playing in some top tournaments in Houston, Dallas and Mississippi and Louisiana, winning the Super NIT in Lake Charles June 5-7 beathing the TBS #23 Monarchs in the final. The Tiger organization has a long history of producing some top ranked teams and this 12u group looks to be the best of them all as their Elite 32 berth would indicate.
19. (tie) Georgia Legends (GA) – Good run at Tournament of Champions and showing their in an elite class at Cooperstown. Lots of power. Top line pitching and play good defense.
19. (tie) Santa Clarita Redhawks (CA) - The Redhawks are an impressive squad with over 40 wins and winning 80% of the time. Made it to the semi finals at the Western Elite USTBA but came up short against the # 2 Lamorinda Cougars. Won both of their tournaments in May, dominating in the Triple Crown Memorial Day Classic by outscoring opponents 53-13. Eliminated in quarter finals at Cooperstown in Week 5. May start slow on Saturdays but Sunday’s are generally where this team takes charge.
21. The Future (IL) - The only team to get a full game in at the BITS, the Future showed they would have been a force to be reckoned with. This is a very solid team with very good pitching. Continue to win in the North. Need to face more of a steady diet of the likes of the Mudhens, Diamondhawks, and Sluggers with successful outcomes before they will make a distinct rise in rankings. Making a good showing at Cooperstown Week 5 at the time of this writing.
22. Inside KC Sports Blues – This team has been hot and their berth to the Elite 32 is intact. The berth included a big win over Louisiana Tigers in Super NIT and has this team back in top 25.
23. Virginia Storm – played well at Tournament of Champions in East Cobb and at Cooperstown Week 4 where they were eliminated by eventual champion Team Rattlers. Very good defensive team.
24. New Orleans Monarchs (LA) - The Monarchs started out the season with 5 straight championships and made a good showing at the Atl. Super NIT. 3rd place showing in South Texas Super NIT with wins over Houston Lightning, TEAM Rattlers and LA. Tigers gained them a berth to Elite 32. Additional high finish at Mississippi Super NIT and a first place finish at the ASP Super NIT in Florida solidify their ranking. Will participate at Disney once again at Elite 32.
25. (tie)West Chester Sluggers (OH) - Last year’s Elite 24 Runner Up the Sluggers are a northern powerhouse but will not be playing at Disney this season. The squad had a less than anticipated finish at Cooperstown in Week 2.
25. (tie) Team Rawlings Elite (CA) - Team Rawlings Elite has played great baseball in California with many of their loses coming to the # 1 Stingrays. They recently beat the Stingrays and finished ahead of Lamorinda, TABU, AZ. Desert Blaze, and the Clippers, all TBS ranked teams, over the Memorial Day weekend but faltered to a 1-2 finish at the California USSSA State. Rebounded at the Firecracker NIT going 5-0 with three shutout victories.
Honorable Mention – there are many teams that could interchange with some of the top 25 teams. Some of the top performing teams of note:
Alabama Naturals (AL) – Best in Bama.
Banditos Black (TX) – A team on the rise. Will get tested at Elite 32.
Bullets Gold (FL) – team playing well in tough FL competition. AAU World Series Champ.
Cincinnati Flames – good, but not overwhelming performances in Georgia and Cooperstown.
Clippers BBC (CA) – Good team that doesn’t get the recognition of others from California.
Columbia Heat (SC) – Big time program out of SC. Sport wins over Virginia Storm, Charlotte Megastars and Mill Creek Hawks this season.
Dairy Queen Busters (AR) – won one of the alphabet nationals last season. Top ten at Cooperstown Week 5.
East Cobb Longhorns (GA) – early season success and a great TOC showing has earned them a spot among national H.M. Easily top 25 material with a few more wins against the bigs in GA.
Ft. Smith Outlaws (AR) – could be the best out of Arkansas.
GBC Team Acceleration (NC) – one of top performers in NC
Germantown Giants (TN) – Consistent winners impressed many at Tournament of Champions.
Gravel Baseball (IL) – One of the top teams in IL also showed they are a cut above while at TOC. Will try to break into National limelight at Super 16 World Series in Dallas.
Great Hands Glove - GH-1 (CA) - Playing well in the west. Still need to close the gap against the likes of Stingrays and Rawlings Elite. Won Week 3 in Omaha defeating one of last year’s elite Houston Angels. A team that could be top 25.
Lids Indiana Bulls – one of the top teams in Indiana. Will face off against Houston Lightning in Myrtle Beach.
MLAB Houston Lightning (TX)– Continue to play well but having trouble finishing the tournaments with wins.
Mill Creek Hawks (GA) – great team in competitively tough Atlanta metro area
Memphis Tigers (TN) – always a top performer out of TN.
Nor Cal Bombers (CA) - Things have cooled down in California now that the last Super NIT out west has been played but the Bombers did a great job early and stay in the top 20. They have stepped up to many 13U tournaments in preparation for the tough 12U NorCal competition. They do sport one victory over TBS #5 TABU last fall.
North Florida Hurricanes – strong team out of Jacksonville will make their mark in FL competition. Played well at Cooperstown Week 5.
Ohio Diamondhawks – could easily be top 25. Another trip to Elite 32 in the works.
Raleigh Wildcats (NC) – one of the top teams out of tough NC. Big win to eliminate Chiefs at TOC.
South Gate Democrats – 2nd at USSSA State in SoCal. Playing well against top CA contenders.
Tamiami Outlaws – took Cooperstown by storm in Week 1.
Team Anderson (CA) - another big player in California.
Team M-Pact (FL) – FL USSSA state champ.
Tomateros de California (CA)- building a solid program in SoCal.
Brooklyn Bonnies - Heavy favorite to win the AABC Northeast Region
|Last Updated on Monday, 20 July 2009 11:38|